Archive for September 6th, 2010
Warner Bros. has a pretty busy release day this Tuesday, September 7th. As well as the previous several reviews, the classic 1956 science fiction masterpiece Forbidden Planet sees Blu-ray for the first time. Does high definition do a 55 year old movie justice?
The Matrix Trilogy has been available on Blu-ray for a while, but only as part of the Ultimate Matrix Collection Blu-ray release, the DVD version of which I reviewed way back in 2004. Now Warner Bros. is releasing the individual movies, first with The Matrix and now with The Matrix Reloaded this Tuesday, September 7th.
The list of winners from the 2010 Hugo Awards (given at Aussicon this weekend) have been announced:
* Best Novel: TIE: The City & The City, China Miéville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK); The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)
* Best Novella: “Palimpsest”, Charles Stross (Wireless; Ace, Orbit)
* Best Novelette: “The Island”, Peter Watts (The New Space Opera 2; Eos)
* Best Short Story: “Bridesicle”, Will McIntosh (Asimov’s 1/09)
* Best Related Book: This is Me, Jack Vance! (Or, More Properly, This is “I”), Jack Vance (Subterranean)
* Best Graphic Story:Girl Genius, Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm Written by Kaja and Phil Foglio; Art by Phil Foglio; Colours by Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)
* Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: Moon Screenplay by Nathan Parker; Story by Duncan Jones; Directed by Duncan Jones (Liberty Films)
* Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: Doctor Who: “The Waters of Mars” Written by Russell T Davies & Phil Ford; Directed by Graeme Harper (BBC Wales)
* Best Editor Long Form: Patrick Nielsen Hayden
* Best Editor Short Form: Ellen Datlow
* Best Professional Artist: Shaun Tan
* Best Semiprozine: Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Sean Wallace, & Cheryl Morgan
* Best Fan Writer: Frederik Pohl
* Best Fanzine: StarShipSofa edited by Tony C. Smith
* Best Fan Artist: Brad W. Foster
The John W. Campbell Award, given to the best new writer, went to Seanan McGuire.
A full breakdown of the voting is available here.