Archive for September 6th, 2010
Warner Bros. has a pretty busy release day this Tuesday, September 7th. As well as the previous several reviews, the classic 1956 science fiction masterpiece [sfs=1052]Forbidden Planet[/sfs] sees Blu-ray for the first time. Does high definition do a 55 year old movie justice?
The Matrix Trilogy has been available on Blu-ray for a while, but only as part of the [sfs=1051]Ultimate Matrix Collection[/sfs] Blu-ray release, the DVD version of which I reviewed way back in 2004. Now Warner Bros. is releasing the individual movies, first with [sfs=1049]The Matrix[/sfs] and now with [sfs=1050]The Matrix Reloaded[/sfs] this Tuesday, September 7th.
The list of winners from the 2010 Hugo Awards (given at Aussicon this weekend) have been announced:
* Best Novel: TIE: [asin=034549752X]The City & The City[/asin], China Miéville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK); [asin=1597801585]The Windup Girl[/asin], Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)
* Best Novella: “Palimpsest”, Charles Stross (Wireless; Ace, Orbit)
* Best Novelette: “The Island”, Peter Watts (The New Space Opera 2; Eos)
* Best Short Story: “Bridesicle”, Will McIntosh (Asimov’s 1/09)
* Best Related Book: [asin=1596062452]This is Me, Jack Vance! (Or, More Properly, This is “I”)[/asin], Jack Vance (Subterranean)
* Best Graphic Story:[asin=1890856525]Girl Genius, Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm[/asin] Written by Kaja and Phil Foglio; Art by Phil Foglio; Colours by Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)
* Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: [asin=B002T9H2ME]Moon[/asin] Screenplay by Nathan Parker; Story by Duncan Jones; Directed by Duncan Jones (Liberty Films)
* Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: [sfs=987]Doctor Who: “The Waters of Mars”[/sfs] Written by Russell T Davies & Phil Ford; Directed by Graeme Harper (BBC Wales)
* Best Editor Long Form: Patrick Nielsen Hayden
* Best Editor Short Form: Ellen Datlow
* Best Professional Artist: Shaun Tan
* Best Semiprozine: Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Sean Wallace, & Cheryl Morgan
* Best Fan Writer: Frederik Pohl
* Best Fanzine: StarShipSofa edited by Tony C. Smith
* Best Fan Artist: Brad W. Foster
The John W. Campbell Award, given to the best new writer, went to Seanan McGuire.
A full breakdown of the voting is available here.