Pack your passport and grab a chainsaw, because Sharknado is going global! Taking the world – and unsuspecting celebrities – by storm, the movie event of the century blows into town this summer, and today, SYFY and The Asylum revealed its chilling title: Sharknado 5: Global Swarming. The latest installment in the hit pop culture franchise premieres on SYFY Sunday, August 6 at 8/7c and will air in more than 100 countries.
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming and the film’s official tagline, “Make America Bait Again!,” are the result of a fan-sourced social initiative launched this April. Calling on fans for inspiration, SYFY invited Facebook users to submit their most creative and outrageous ideas via an interactive bot.
In Sharknado 5: Global Swarming, the mission gets personal for Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering) and his bionic wife, April (Tara Reid) when their young son gets trapped in a traveling ‘nado and transported all over the world. From London to Rio, Tokyo, Rome, Amsterdam and beyond, our globetrotting heroes will seek assistance from a highly-skilled squad of royals, scholars and Olympians, enlisting famous faces from news, entertainment, and sports in their most epic battle yet.
Cameos announced today include:
- Fabio (Model) as the Pope
- Tony Hawk (Professional skateboarder) as a masterful weapons operative strategist
- Clay Aiken (Musician) as Llewelyn, a cutting edge technology genius
- Olivia Newton-John (Musician) and daughter Chloe Lattanzi as Orion and Electra, two brilliant scientists who help defend Australia from a looming Sharknado
- Bret Michaels (Musician) as a visiting artist that gets trapped in the storm
- Margaret Cho (Comedian) as a fussy bride whose honeymoon is interrupted by sharks
- Charo (Musician, Comedian) as The Queen of England
- Gilbert Gottfried (Comedian) as storm chaser Ron McDonald
- Today hosts Al Roker, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb as themselves
- Olympic diving medalists Greg Louganis as Zico, a high-end art thief, and Tom Daley as himself
- Olympic freeskiing medalist Gus Kenworthy and NBC News investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen as themselves
- Porsha Williams (The Real Housewives of Atlanta) as Andromeda, an archeologist and member of the elite “Sharknado Sisterhood”
- Tiffany “New York” Pollard (Flavor of Love) as Vega, a Brazilian black market artifacts dealer
- Chris Kattan (Saturday Night Live) as The Prime Minister of England
- Cat Greenleaf (Talk Stoop) and Dan Fogler (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) as themselves
- Ross Mullan (Game of Thrones White Walker) as Dr. Wobbegon, a scientist who has made breakthroughs in meteorological studies to track Sharknado storms
and many more…
Also reprising their roles from previous installments are Cassie Scerbo, Masiela Lusha and Cody Linley.
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming, a production of The Asylum, is directed by Anthony C. Ferrante based on an original screenplay by Scotty Mullen.